Skip to main content

A poet when you didn’t know it!

Those who attended the Generation Gospel event with Rev Chunky and Rob Dunsire had a fun-filled, inspirational time. Here are the products of the poetry workshop featuring repetition as a poetical device – well done to all you budding poets!:

Jesus
Jesus
Jesus
Jesus
Oh Jesus, I’ve forgotten the words (no offence!)


I am a witness, said the witness,
I was at the sceneI witnessed the smash and oh, what a crash, the worst I’ve ever seen
The hearse was reversing; the driver was cursing, when came the awful collision
And he wouldn’t have done had the bright winter sun
Not obscured the minister’s vision
He was giving a lift to a congregational miss
And witnessing to her as he went
But he got a surprise with the sun in his eyes
When his no-claims bonus was suddenly spent
I was a witness, I saw it all happen and I know it doesn’t make sense
But I must disapprove of the vicar’s last move
And be a witness for the defence.

I’ve been told to write a poem
A poem with eight lines
So I thought that I could nick one
out of yesterday’s Times
But I forgot that that paper
was too widely read
So if I want an eight line poem
I’ll have to use my head

Jesus brings joy to
Everybody
Son of God
United
Somebody to everybody

Tall and stubborn is the tree
That Christ died on, alone, for me
My love for Him defies eternity
For He alone has set me free
I promise to honour only Thee

I was placed in a wood cot
I ate from a wood table
Seated on a wood chair
I shut a wood door
And leaned on a wood fence
I fell on the wood floor
And was placed on a wood stretcher
I left this world in a wood box

The most wonderful thing is nature is the birth of a child
The most beautiful gift I have been given is a grandson
I love that child so much that it hurts in my heart
My beautiful boy is leaving to walk unsteadily
Too soon he will grow up but he will always be mine

Christmas is a jolly time for all the family
With family presents under family tree
A family meal where we all get stuffed
And a family snooze when we’ve feasted enough
But after all the revels when the family has left
And my gifts from all the family still leave me quite bereft
I know another family won’t leave me in the lurch
There is love and faith, fun, fellowship with my family of church

You should never try to write a poem when:
· Given a long sheet to read
· With four exercises to try
· Trying to help someone next to you
· Listening to others wrestle with similes

When your feet are cold
When your brain feels old
When your inspiration has left
When your thoughts are bereft
When your passion is weak
When others want to speak
When time is limited
When feelings are daunted

And yet, consider
A smile is an expression of love
A touch is an expression of care
A glance an exchange without words
An upward glance a silent prayer
A poem

Rain is drumming, drumming,
Thrumming in my head.
Lightning brightening the sky,
Lightning brightening, frightening,
Thunder crashing, rain splashing
Splishing, splashing, lashing down
Suddenly decreases, ceases, stops.
Overhead, in leaden skies,
God's shining promise -
A rainbow